What is this treatment?
Sedation dentistry uses medication to help patients relax during dental procedures. This is sometimes referred to as relaxation dentistry. There are a number of sedation options available ranging from oral sedatives, relative analgesia (Nitrous Oxide or happy gas) to general anaesthesia (in hospital).
Is this treatment for me?
Sedation dentistry is ideal for those who
- Are anxious about going to the dentist
- Have a fear of having dental procedures done, especially if it is preventing you from having necessary dental treatment
- Have difficulty achieving the desired effects of local anaesthetic or have an overactive gag reflex
- Have sensitive teeth during routine cleans
The benefits of this treatment are
- You will feel more relaxed throughout your entire procedure
- You can receive treatment without being acutely aware of the specifics of the procedure
- You can have a large amount of dental treatment done in one visit
- You can avoid the noise, smell and taste associated with dental treatment
- It can be used for everything from invasive procedures to simple teeth cleaning