The goal of preventive dentistry is to maintain oral health and prevent future dental problems. This is achieved by identifying potential problems at a very early stage when they can be treated easily. Preventive dentistry is particularly important for children as it can lay a good foundation for developing a healthy dentition that will last a lifetime. Here are 7 important preventive dentistry treatments for children:
- Scaling: This treatment involves the removal of hard and soft deposits from the tooth and root surfaces creating a very smooth and glossy surface which prevents the accumulation of food particles and development of dental cavities.
- Periodontal Debridement: This is a deeper cleaning procedure than scaling and involves not just cleaning of the tooth and root surface, but also the gingival pocket space, pocket walls, and the underlying tissues. It helps prevent gingival and periodontal diseases.
- Fluoride Treatment: This involves the topical application of fluoride in the form of a gel, solution, varnish, or foam which combines with the tooth enamel and makes it resistant to decay.
- Invisalign Braces: These are a series of nearly invisible braces that, when applied at the right age in children, can help prevent tooth and jaw alignment disorders. Unlike traditional braces, Invisalign braces do not interfere with oral hygiene or nutrition as they can be taken out during tooth cleaning and meals.
- Mouthguards/Sports Guard: For children participating in sporting activities, a custom-designed mouthguard by your dentist has many advantages compared to the ones available over the counter. It fits better, is not easily dislodged, and can provide better protection for the teeth.
- Nightguards: These are special mouthguards designed to be worn while sleeping. They help prevent tooth grinding, a habit seen in many children, which can damage their teeth, cause jaw pain and headaches, and can prevent your child from getting a good night’s sleep.
At Robina Family Dental Surgery, we recommend regular 6-month dental visits. We also offer bulk booking for eligible children in Robina and Gold Coast. We are happy to hear from you. To learn more about our comprehensive range of preventative dentistry services and for all appointments or enquiries, please call (07) 5578 8227.